Adapted from the 75th Anniversary Celebration booklet, produced in 1996
University Baptist History 75th Anniversary Edition Fall 1996
Cover: Donna Atchley; Composition & Copy: Terri Swanson
Editing & Proofing: Rick McClatchy, Marguerite Guinn
75th Anniversary Committee:
History of Univeristy Baptist Church
William E. Malone, Bonnie Williamson,
Lyndell P. Worthen, Jr.,
& Rick McClatchy
1921 - 1945
"In future years preachers and missionaries will go out from old North Church," said J. R. Eliff, preaching at the organizational meeting of North Church (later known as University Baptist Church) in June 1921. Thus began the vision of University Baptist Church. It was a need for a new fellowship of believers that brought North Church to life. A number of families living on the northern edge of Shawnee found participation in a downtown church difficult because of transportation. The streetcar which ran from town to OBU was inconvenient and expensive.
Under the leadership of Reverend J. L. Guthrie, Reverend J. E. Akin, and Reverend William Whicker, these people met in June of 1921, at the home of J. L.Guthrie at 310 W. North Street (later MacArthur Drive) to organize into a church. They gathered without the sponsorship of another Baptist church and with the resistance of some who did not want another Baptist church in Shawnee.
Approximately twenty persons signed the church charter. Some of the charter members were: Dr. and Mrs. J. L. Guthrie, Mattie Guthrie, Ruth Guthrie, Mr. and Mrs. William Whicker, Pauline Whicker, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Ellis, Mary Ellis, Mr.and Mrs. J. E. Akin, Ruth Akin, and Mrs. J. W. Atteberry. A number of others, including Mrs. Velma Clotfelter who now lives in Carlsbad, New Mexico, were present at the meeting, but they waited to write for their church letters. Reverend J. E. Akin served as moderator of this first meeting, and Dr. J. L.Guthrie was elected pastor.
Through the summer and into the fall the Guthrie home continued to serve as the meeting place of the newly organized church. This part of the town, had no electricity; therefore, the church used an old gas lantern to light their services. According to Rita Collier Hedges of Lyford, Texas, "A revival was held in 1921 by Brother William Whicker at Acme School, two miles west of OBU. Converts from the revival were baptized in a pond on the L. M. Collier farm one mile north and 1.5 miles west of OBU. Among those baptized were the three Collier girls, Rita, Novella, and Marie, and their mother Pearl Collier. Mr. Collier was already a Baptist."
In the fall of 1921, the church, using volunteer labor, built a crude tabernacle at 2613 North Kickapoo. This structure had a dirt and sawdust floor, homemade benches, and a pot-bellied stove. The hinged, wooden flaps used for windows reached to the floor. They could be pushed out and propped up, enabling one to walk out the windows. Ewell Montgomery recalls that he could stand on the ground beside the building and lay his hand on the roof.
Velma Clotfelter relates, "As I remember the early days of North Church, I recall how people with different talents and abilities came into the fellowship and were eager to find a place to serve. At first there was no pianist or music director. Two girls from OBU, who were close friends, united with the church. One could play the piano and the other had some ability to direct music. They served that first semester and maybe longer. Others came who were capable Sunday School teachers. A close bond of Christian fellowship grew among these early members."
Rita Collier Hedges recalls, "During my high school days, I taught primary Sunday School. Also I was active in BYPU. The pastor, Dr. Guthrie, tutored me in violin for church services. My sister Novella played the piano. Our little orchestra didn't p!ay too long, because Dr. Guthrie ended his pastorate in 1926. Later we formed a choir and sat on two wooden benches behind the pulpit. The church grew in number, and we had another baptizing."
Dr. Cuthrie was succeeded in 1926 by the second pastor, Olen Cornelius, a student at OBU. He served the church until December 4, 1927. The third pastor, C. H. Evans served only from February until July 1928.
These were years of growth and development for the church. It was also a time when the church took a stand on what they saw to be the moral issues of the day. During January 1927, the church issued a letter of appreciation to Dr. J. B. Round for his stand against an Inaugural Ball. In February of the same year, Brother Stith was elected to meet with other representatives to organize against Sunday picture shows. On March 6. 1927. the church approved a motion to tell the local paper that North Church was "for federal officials cleaning up Shawnee", and a committee was appointed to visit people breaking the Sunday law and disturbing church services. Finally, on October 17, 1927, the church issued a letter of commendation to Dr. J. B. Rounds for his stand against the teaching of evolution in state schools.
A. F. Loftin became the fourth pastor in August 1928. While the various pastors were coming and going, the main work of the church moved ahead.
On August 22, 1928, the church voted to begin building construction by August 27th; however, it was in September 1928, that construction began on the three story brick building which presently is the north education wing. (The third story was removed during the 1976 renovation.) The intention was to build an attached sanctuary to the north.
The church held services for some weeks in the auditorium of Shawnee Hall at OBU, since the old Tabernacle had been torn down and the materials used for construction of the new facility.
Loftin resigned as pastor October 12, 1930, and was followed February 22, 1931, by the fifth pastor, O. E. Thompson. From its inception the church had borne the name North Church and had incorporated with the State of Oklahoma under that name on March 7, 1928. The church's name, North Church, created a considerable amount of confusion as to whether affiliation had been made with the Northern or Southern Baptist Convention. On March 4, 1931, the name was changed to University Baptist Church. To complete the new name change, the church incorporated for the second time on April 11,1940.
Thompson resigned as pastor on March 26, 1933, to move to Cordell, Oklahoma, as owner and president of Cordell College.
The sixth pastor, W. O. Miller, was called in July 1933, and was to be paid sixty percent of the church receipts. During Miller's pastorate, the church dealt with the potentially divisive issue of receiving divorced persons into church membership. The church decided to receive these persons into full membership. Miller resigned as pastor in July 1937.
Leon Gambrell became the seventh pastor September 1, 1937, and under his leadership the church engaged in its third building program.
The church was faced with the challenge of a church field of some five thousand local residents, the OBU students and families, and the National Youth Administration school. The ground breaking for the proposed building took place in 1938 with Dr. Roland Q. Leavell of the Department of Evangelism of the Home Mission Board as guest speaker. A golden shovel which had been used to break ground for a church in West Point, Georgia, was used to officially break the ground. William Decker, who had previously built nine churches, was to supervise the construction.
The church then faced severe financial difficulties and sent letters of appeals to various people including Senator Josh Lee of Norman, Oklahoma, J. L. Kraft of Kraft Foods, J. Lloyd Ford of Shawnee Milling Company. Concern was so great that T. E. Goodson offered the church a farm which was respectfully refused.
In place of a proposed $50,000 brick sanctuary, in 1939 the church erected a temporary wooden Tabernacle, using volunteer labor. Workers included Arval Putnam, a present member of UBC. Hugh Brown, who designed our present sanctuary, was also the designer for this proposed church. The concrete of our patio area was the floor of the white wooden tabernacle which extended to the east edge of our fellowship hall. Originally it was to be the basement floor of the proposed sanctuary.
The church, on August 9, 1938, purchased a lot at Falls Creek Baptist Assembly for future construction of a Falls Ceek cabin.
W. A. Boston was unanimously called as the eighth pastor in July 1941. During Brother Boston's tenure the church established a rotating system of deacons.
Dr. Clifton Malone was called as the ninth pastor on October 15 1943. He led the church to purchase a parsonage at 114 W. Georgia. (In 1959. the parsonage was sold to church members Arval and Anna Putnam.) In March 1945, the Musson Baptist Mission, was organized under the sponsorship of University Baptist. Herbert Lee was director of this mission. On December 1, 1946, the mission was organized into the Musson Missionary Baptist Church, later renamed Hilltop Baptist Church. Thirty-one members of University Baptist became charter members at the Musson church. A highlight of the ministry of Dr. Malone was a watchnight service, December 31, 1944, when at exactly twelve midnight, the note of indebtedness on all church property was burned. Dr. Malone resigned on August 7, 1945, to become chairman of the English Department at OBU.
1945 - 1977
Dr. T. Grady Nanney was called as the tenth pastor on August 12, 1945, and served the longest tenure up to that time. During his pastorate, the church built Kiddie Kottage - a child day-care facility - employed Pat Fugate as full-time minister of education, did preliminary work toward the construction of a new sanctuary which was to become the fourth building project of the church, and constructed the first Falls Creek cabin. Henry Bishop recalled that this wooden cabin was constructed in one day with volunteer labor under the direction of George Taylor.
In 1951, University Baptist Church bought the property of the Golden Acres Baptist Church. The church history of Golden Acres records: "The University Baptist Church worked with the Golden Acres Mission much longer and put forth much more effort. They (University Baptist) voted that no one could be the mission pastor except a senior at OBU. Due to this action, the mission would, many times, only have a pastor September through May. Then the rest of the year was completed by whomever they would get to come and fill in."
With Doug Williamson as mission director, the Golden Acres Baptist Mission remained a mission of University Baptist Church until it became a church on September 1, 1957.
Lorene Wagoner, long-time secretary, recalled these days in the life of University Baptist: "Among the many parts which make up the complete story of the worthwhile activities of University Baptist Church was a group called Berta K. Spooner Circle, a part of the WMU of our church. Its membership was made up largely of wives of ministerial students in OBU. Most of these families lived in what was known as Vet's Villa or in Beacon Hill apartments. Some of the men were pastors of churches, but usually without missionary organizations. The WMU of University sponsored this circle to provide opportunity for training in WMU work for these young women. In turn, these young women provided valuable help with auxiliaries, helped in VBS and sometimes in Sunday School."
Dr. Nanney often took men hunting, and with his gun, hound dog, and wise philosophy, did his mission work. He had a special way with children. He would ask the child to "Stick out your tongue." After giving his diagnosis as "chewitis", he would hand the child a nickel to buy gum. Children confided in him.
Because of the great need for child care in Shawnee and because the church needed adequate nursery facilities, the church built Kiddie Kottage where our playground is today. It was officially opened November 6, 1948, with Mrs. S. E. Gartman as director. She was followed by Linnie Alldredge who served in this capacity for many years.
The nursery became an important ministry to many young parents. For a number of years, the state WMU paid Kiddie Kottage $100 per month to keep the children of ministerial families allowing their young mothers to attend classes at OBU. This nursery served until 1978.
The present sanctuary was built over a period of five years, 1953-57. During its regular business meeting of January 7, 1 953. the church approved the establishment of a steering committee to make plans and recommend other committees as needed for building the sanctuary.
A report on December 31, 1953, showed that Hugh Brown, the architect, had drawn up plans and specifications for the new building. The church approved them.
The steering committee had only discouraging results obtaining a bonded contractor. The church desperately needed a building. June 16, 1954, Hugh Ownby reported that H. D. Ford from Tulsa would build the sanctuary for $150,000. The church encouraged Mr. Ownby to proceed.
July 21, 1954, Ownby reported that Ford had not been involved in major construction very long, therefore, he was unable to make bond. Ford offered to start construction immediately, without bond, if the church would give him $20,000 it had on hand. The church would give him other money as it became available. He explained it would then be easier for the church to obtain a loan. The church approved this plan and the work was started. By December 31. 1954, the church had paid Ford $60,000.
During the first six months of 1955, very little progress was made on the building. Ford was given $5,000 in January to help get the work going. In February and March, liens were filed against the church for materials delivered but not paid for.
A special deacons meeting was called on June 19, 1955. The Trustees were to secure a lawyer to deal with the liens. Ford was to meet with the deacons, but he did not come.
The church voted in regular monthly business meeting, July 25, 1955, to declare the contract with Ford null and void due to lack of performance.
Hugh Ownby informed the church in a special called meeting that the church needed to borrow $13,000 to go with money on hand to pay off the approved liens. The motion was made and approved. At the end of the year, one of the liens was not cleared but church's finances were getting back in shape.
On May 8, 1957, Ownby recommended that Elmer Freeman be asked to submit an offer to complete the building, contingent on his approval by the bank and the church's lawyer. Freeman was given a contract to complete the building. By the end of 1957, the sanctuary was, for all practical purposes, complete and ready to use.
On the tenth anniversary of Dr. Nanney's ministry at University Baptist Church, the church received a love offering for the purchase of an automobile. Dr. T. Grady Nanney retired in 1956 and moved to Bristow, Oklahoma, where he became chaplain for the Baptist Hospital.
Calvin C. Ussery became the eleventh pastor on February 1, 1957. He led the church to the highest Sunday School attendance in its history and to the second highest total baptisms with fifty-five in 1957. He was known for his pastoral visitation of church members.
On July 14, 1957, the cornerstone of the present sanctuary was laid. The church had borrowed $70,000 from the Federal National Bank to complete work on the sanctuary. Individual church families underwrote the note. As they signed, it was with the sacrificial intentions to refinance their homes if it became necessary.
Under Ussery, the Golden Acres Mission became a church. On January 7, 1959, the Pottawatomie-Lincoln Baptist Association moved its office from the University Baptist Church where it had been for about 14 years. Ussery resigned February 17, 1959.
John Meadows was called as the twelfth pastor April 29, 1959. The church decided to sell the parsonage at 114 W. Georgia at this time and allow the pastor to purchase a home. The remaining area of the present sanctuary was finished and used as Sunday School space. During these years Sunday School attendance continued strong and mission giving improved. In January of 1953, the church decided to dismantle the old Falls Creek cabin in preparation for future construction. Meadows resigned on July 1, 1963, to become Assistant President at OBU.
Earl Hatchett became the thirteenth pastor on November 3, 1963. He is remembered as an excellent preacher, a well-organized pastor, a great advertiser of the church, and as having a distinct interest in writing. The church established the library in June of 1965 and specified that the literature be screened for good Christian books of spiritual worth. Hatchett resigned February 28, 1967, to become pastor of the Broadway Baptist Church of Kingfisher.
Jerry Barnes became the fourteenth pastor in May 1967. During 1967 the church constructed the present Falls Creek cabin under the supervision of Elmer Freeman. On May 24, 1970, the central educational facility that presently serves the church was dedicated. Karl Kozel was chairman of this building project. This was the fifth building program of the church. During 1976, with extensive use of volunteer labor, the old educational building was remodeled into the nursery wing that we presently use. Johnny Cullison was chairman of this sixth and latest major building program of the church.
In 1974, fourteen members of the church actively involved in Volunteers in Corrections, a program ministering on a personal basis to prison inmates.
In the fall of 1976, a women's handbell choir was organized under the direction of Mary Kay Parrish. The group is still ministering under the name, Jubilation Ringers.
Barnes served on the Shawnee Human Relations Council, which helped Shawnee to ease the tension of integration, and was active with the coffee house ministry.
With the church's cooperation, Barnes completed the Doctor of Ministry degree at Vanderbuilt University. The lay leadership cared for the ministry in his absence. He resigned in December of 1977 to become pastor of the Royal Lane Baptist Church of Dallas, Texas.
1977 - 1996
Lyndell P. Worthen, Jr. became the fifteenth pastor on Memorial Day, 1978. His ministry was characterized by strong pulpit preaching and the ability to make hard decisions. One of the first decisions facing him on coming was the potential closing of the Kiddie Kottage in December 1978. Another significant decision was reorganizing the deacon election procedure to make it possible for women to be elected as Deacons.
The church also set up certain priorities to be accomplished and achieved the following: (1) the purchase of an activity bus; (2) new equipment for the preschool area; (3) the paving of the northeast parking lot; and (4) the purchase of new office equipment.
A highlight of Worthen's life was his participation in the Foreign Mission Board's Philippines Evangelistic Crusade in 1981. The church helped him finance this mission. Worthen resigned effective October 1981, to become pastor of the First Baptist Church of Arkadelphia, Arkansas.
Glen Pence became the sixteenth pastor on March 1, 1982. During his ministry, the church padded and upholstered the sanctuary pews. The church also purchased a van from donations and much of the work was accomplished by the youth and the bell choir. The youth and bell choir members collected aluminum cans and served luncheons at the church to help procure funds for the church van and other ministries such as the Falls Creek cabin and equipment.
Pence's ministry was characterized by a strong pastoral ministry to church families in crisis. He resigned as pastor September 30, 1986, to serve as chaplain at Oakcrest.
Dr. J. D. Ward became the church's seventeenth pastor on July 6, 1987. During these years, the church had grown, with significant increases in attendance and membership. The ministry to university students had been revitalized and a singles ministry begun.
A significant accomplishment of Dr. Ward's ministry was the renovation of the sanctuary. This project, which was completed in October 1988 cost approximately $300,000, and the church carried out its own pledge campaign to pay for the work. The renovation project included a new sound system, stained glass windows, improved lighting, a new organ, and refurbishing of the interior. Morning worship services were held at OBU's Dorland Theater during the summer of 1988, with evening services held in the Freeman Fellowship Hall.
Another important project that was finished in 1990 was the completion of a second story addition to the church's Falls Creek cabin. The upstairs addition benefited from the church's recycling program, which has been directed for several years by Patty McWilliams. Money received for aluminum cans has helped fund improvements for the Falls Creek cabin. Volunteer labor also played an important part in the addition.
During Ward's ministry the church purchased the property at the corner of Pulaski and Park streets. Provisions were made during his ministry for members to designate to CBF.
Ward resigned in December 1992 to become a minister in the United Methodist Church.
Dr. Rick McClatchy became the eighteenth pastor in July 1993. This humble Texan, who spoke a whole 'nother language, helped refurbish the kitchen and the preschool area. A second van was purchased. The MacArthur street property was given to the church by the Edmisten family. The church became involved in starting a Habitat for Humanity affiliate in Shawnee.
McClatchy's ministry was known for his kindness to animals, and telling stories of questionable veracity.
McClatchy resigned in September 1995 to become the first coordinator of the Cooperating Baptist Fellowship of Oklahoma.
The church extended a call to Robert Searl on August 11,1996 to become the nineteenth pastor. He accepted the call and came to the church from Northside, Lawton, on September 8,1996. Searl is presently working toward his D. Min. at Midwestern Seminary.
The church is excited about working with Searl as we close this century and move into the next.
A History of the WMU at UBC
& Bonnie Williamson
From the early days of the church, the women of University Baptist Church have been active in Woman"s Missionary Union.
A report given in a church business meeting on October 5, 1927, listed a WMS of two circles with 27 members and four auxiliaries: Intermediate and Junior GA's, RA's, and Sunbeams. That year, $59.00 was given for the WMU Memorial Dormitory at OBU, and a Lottie Moon Christmas Offering was taken.
For many years, the membership of the local WMS was divided into circles according to geographic locations around the church. This made it possible for the women to meet in their own neighborhoods. Each circle was named for a missionary or Baptist leader. Such names as Mrs. L. L Johnson, Dorene Hawkins, Mary Davidson, Jeannie Spears, Rosalie Mills Appleby, and Mrs. J. W. Jent and others appeared. The circles came together at church once a month for business meetings, lunch and Royal Service Programs. The weekly meetings were held in the homes.
The WMS took offerings and donated linens to support Baptist hospital work in Oklahoma. This was called the White Cross Program. WMS women witnessed locally through Personal Service work, later called Community Missions. Today it is called Mission Actions.
On January 25. 1938, the WMS prepared to celebrate the golden jubilee of the organizing of Woman's Missionary Union auxiliary to the Southern Baptist Convention. In April of the same year, plans were made to observe the occasion with a golden jubilee pageant.
Georgia Elwell was elected to serve as delegate to the southwide WMU convention in 1938.
When the L. L. Johnson's, missionaries to Brazil, were home on furlough in 1938, the WMS held a quilting bee and made a quilt for them.
World War II brought a new need. Mrs. H. E. Smith presented a plan to cooperate with the American Red Cross in establishing a unit to roll bandages for use with the wounded soldiers. The motion was adopted February 23,1943. Consequently during the war years, women of the church met once a week in a designated room to fulfill this commitment.
Helen Ige, an American born Japanese, gave a talk on October 26, 1943. about her work among Japanese-Americans who had been relocated in camps in California and Arkansas.
Carolyn Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Smith, became the first Queen Regent of Girls Auxiliary in the Pottawatomie-Lincoln Association in a service at University Baptist Church, according to the Associational Letter of 1951. The choir honored the occasion by singing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.
Fifty years of WMU work in Oklahoma was observed in 1956. During a celebration meeting, members with the most years of service In WMU were recognized. They were:
Mrs. H. Tyson - 46 years
Mrs. L. L. Johnson - 45 years
Mrs. Clyde DeGraffenreid - 39 years
Mrs. Dan Edmisten - 39 years
Mrs.J. W. Dodderer- 39 years
Mrs. H. E. Smith- 35 years
In 1962, at the state Intermediate G.A. Houseparty at Norman (now called Acteen Conference), University Baptist Church girls were recognized for doing the best work in the state. Each of the four Queen Regents was presented a long stem red rose by the state director, Johnnie Barnhart.
The local observance was held May 28, 1963. "The walls of the University Baptist Church Annex were transformed . . . into a city of 75 years ago. Life-sized silhouettes of dapper gentlemen and gentle ladles lined the sidewalk in front of the full-sized store facades." So read the Shawnee News Star. Betty Meadows worked diligently to make the settings.
WMU-SBC marked the 75th anniversary of WMU with a meeting in Kansas City, Missouri, on May 6-7, 1964. Five delegates represented the local WMU at that meeting. They were Linnie Alldredge, Ida Bridges, Velma Melson, Drexel Malone, and Flora Ashlock.
At Atlantic City, the University Baptist Church WMS was recognized at the national convention as having obtained honor recognition for several years. In a letter to the local WMS June 12, 1967, Abbie Louise Green, Executive Secretary of Oklahoma WMU said. "Your church was one of the highest that was honored from Oklahoma..."
The WMS received Southwide recognition with a certificate and letter from Alma Hunt, Executive Secretary of WMU-SBC. Miss Hunt wrote: "Congratulations on having merited 75th Anniversary recognition. Of the 24,034 churches reporting WMU work, 2,584 received recognition."
The WMS began services once a week at the Shawnee Nursing Home. When the home was closed, a similar program with a birthday party for patients was begun in the late 60's and is still continued at the Shawnee Care Center Convalescent Home.
The Ralph Rummages, missionaries home on furlough in 1974, were given funds to cover the tuition for a needy student to attend Sanyati Baptist Secondary School.
Assistance has been extended in many ways to foreign students attending OBU, especially Nigerian students.
Mrs. H. E. Smith was leading WMU as president when the church celebrated its 60th Anniversary in 1981.
In 1985, the WMU was reorganized according to a new plan with a director over the umbrella group which included the auxiliaries and Baptist Women groups. Drexel Malone was elected director. Helen Valandingham was president of the morning group and Pattisue Smith was president of the evening group. A highlight of that year was a missions fair on a Sunday night with missionaries and students - members of the church participating.
The following year the church gave a record Lottie Moon Christmas offering of $13,801.00. A request was made to increase the cooperative program giving by 1%.
The church approved a 1/2% increase.
A dinner for the women of the church was held January 27, 1987. with Jaxie Short, missionary to Hong Kong as the speaker. Foreign dishes were served, and the women wore foreign dress to carry out the theme, "The Global Woman".
The WMU had representation at Atlanta, San Antonio, and St. Louis.
University Baptist Church celebrated the 100th anniversary of WMU, May 14, 1988, with an all-church luncheon. 115 people attended.
During the evening service, the women and Acteens presented a skit, "Celebrating in Style", featuring fashions worn during the 100 years period, and emphasizing WMU highlights from 1888. The skit was later presented at the Associational Centennial celebration. Also that evening, the Acteens gave a demonstration of their clown ministry.
A centennial prayer retreat was held August 6, 1988. The theme, "Sustained by Prayer", was carried out by special guests, Jeannie Butler Spears of Thailand and Glenda Travis of India.
A $150.00 offering was sent to the WMU Headquarters fund to honor Mrs. Leon Haddock, Bettie Ricketson, and in memory of Pearl Nanny, Essie Wint, Mary Lambdin and Mrs. L. L. Johnson.
At the present time our Women on Mission has three groups:
1) A mission study group meets on the second Tuesday of each month to study Mosaic, the magazine which replaced Royal Service.
2) A mission book study group meets on the fourth Tuesday for a mission book review.
3) A mission Action group goes to Shawnee Care Center Nursing Home on the last Thursday of the month for a birthday party where they have a devotional and serve refreshments to the patients.
The Women on Mission leads the church in observing: Annie Armstrong Home Mission Week of Pryaer In March, the Edna McMillan State Mission Week in September, and the Lottie Moon Foreign Mission Week of Prayer in December.
The church has some auxilliaries under the WMU umbrella. A recognition service was held May 19, 1991 for Holly Flora as Queen with scepter and Jenifer Henry as Queen.
Excerpt from UBC History 1981: Lorene Wagoner recalled...:
"Among the many parts which make up the complete story of the worthwhile activities of University Baptist Church was a group called Berta K. Spooner Circle, a part of the WMU of our church. Its membership was made up largely of wives of ministerial students in OBU. Most of these families lived in what was known as Vet's Villa or in Beacon Hill apartments. Some of the men were pastors of churches, but usually without missionary organizations. The WMU of University sponsored this circle to provide opportunity for training in WMU work for these young women. In turn, these young women provided valuable help with auxiliaries , helped in VBS and sometimes in Sunday School."
Mrs.J. V. Lambdin
Mrs. H. E. Smith
Mrs. John Roy Harris
Mrs. S. C. Gartman
Mrs. R.L. Carpenter
Mrs. S. C. Gartman
Mrs. H. E. Smith
Mrs. James Osterloh
Mrs. D. V. Alldredge
Mrs. William E. Malone
Mrs. Clyde DeGraffenreid
Mrs. William E. Malone
Mrs. J. D. Williamson, Sr.
Mrs. D. V. Alldredge
Mrs. Gene Moon
Mrs. J. D. Williamson, Sr.
Mrs. H. E. Smith
Mrs. H. E. Smith
QUEENS REGENT IN GA'S
Mona Zoe Standridge
Top Associational Teen for work done Studiact